ECB Premier League - Rain halts victory gallop
Monday 28th May 2007

Wallasey teetered on the brink of defeat in the derby with New Brighton at the Oval, but a defiant last wicket stand denied the leaders. The home side, replying to their rivals' 198-9d from 54.4 overs, in which Lawrence Wilson top scored with 56 and Simon Keen (4-60) and Chris Bourne (4-83) both bowled well, held on at 99-9 (40.5 overs), thanks to a battling show by Ritchie Conlan (22*) and Barrie Beaver (4*), who kept the visitors at bay for 10 overs. Jesse Ryder caused the problems with 6-17 from 11.5 overs. Earlier, David Miles claimed six victims (ct 4, st 2) behind the stumps for Wallasey.

Huyton's eighth defeat from nine games was surely their most painful. A battle for survival is already high on their agenda after just a third of the season, and Mark Wilkie's men will need to recover quickly from suffering one of the fastest defeats in Liverpool Competition history. Their innings was decimated in just 68 minutes for a pathetic 36 in 17.3 overs after being asked to bat by Colwyn Bay. Debasis Mohanty took 6-17 off nine overs, while Chris Rowley claimed 3-20. It then took the Welsh side 20 minutes and six overs to knock off the runs for a 10 wicket victory, Patrick Leach 31*.

In contrast, Ormskirks batsmen proved too good for the Northern attack and the Brook Lane side won by seven wickets to move into third place in the ECB Premier League. Carl Heys 38 eventually took him past the 500 run milestone, but Shaun Petafi (48) top scored in Northern's 193-9d (55 overs) after choosing to bat. Matthew Glayzer (67), who shared a century opening stand with Chris Smith (46), and John Simpson (44*) guided the home side to victory.

Second placed Lytham moved to within 23 points of top spot, clinching a one wicket win at St Helens Recs with Rob Dingle hitting a winning six off the second ball of the last over. Recs reached 181 in 61 overs after being inserted, Mark Jenkins hitting 42 and Marcus Sharp taking 4-42. Anthony Mulligan (53) and Dave Cartmell (40) were the mainstays of a reply which saw Steve Garvey (3-38) and Gary Freeman (3-39) in good form.

Ian A Cockbain led the Bootle onslaught of the Hightown attack with a superb 109* (8x4s, 4x6s). He shared 163 for the third wicket with Graham Lloyd (88, 84 balls, 13x4s) out of an impressive 242-3d after winning the toss, but rain restricted the visitors to 110-4 (Shaun Vosloo 38, Sunil Joshi 34*).

Paddy McKeown cracked 61 in 26 balls (10x4s, 1x6) for Maghull as they were marooned on 101-2 from only 8.3 overs after Leigh made 176-9d in 61 overs. Alex Roussak hit a fine 81, while Ryan Swiers was rewarded with 6-42.

The game at Trafalgar Road was also hit by the weather, Fleetwood Hesketh reaching 165 after losing the toss. Pick of the batting was Nikita Miller (62*), while Patrick Jackson (4-41) and Dave Britton (3-41) did well. In return, Southport and Birkdale reached 81-4 after 24.5 overs with Jackson 59.