ECB Premier League - Nawab saves the day for New Brighton
Saturday 25th August 2007

Ashraf Nawab saved the day for New Brighton and ensured that they stayed top of the table after a two wicket win at Trafalgar Road. Southport and Birkdale elected to bat against the leaders and were 48-2 when Patrick Jackson joined opener Dave Aston. The pair then added 170 before Aston went for 67. The introduction of Nawab's spin created havoc for the home side's batsmen as they collapsed to 237 all out (58.2 overs) with Nawab ending with 6-28 while Jackson reached his third century of the season (121, 125 balls, 15x4s, 3x6s). New Brighton were in trouble at 152-7 but Tom Jones (31) and Nawab (48*) added 78 before victory came with two wickets and one over to spare.

Second placed Colwyn Bay drop to sixth after taking a tumble at Ruskin Drive where they were dismissed for 94 (30.4 overs) after restricting St Helens Recs to 139 in 56.1 overs (Steve Martindale 46). Hopes were high for the Welsh side after Debasis Mohanty had taken 7-48 but Kelby Pickering (5-49) and Chris Lyon (3-27) had the last say for Recs.

Bootle kept up their challenge with 25 points from their encounter with bottom of the table Leigh. After electing to bat, Ian A Cockbain (61) and Craig Prince (70) opened with 91 out of a total of 222-5d (39.2 overs) but the total was far out of reach for struggling Leigh who could only manage 82 in 29.2 overs with their former player, Ronnie Davis, taking 4-33 and Will Purser 3-21.

Northern were sportingly asked to bat by Huyton's Mark Wilkie and they rattled up 252-4d in 39 overs. After Carl Hey was dismissed for 46, Steve Mullaney (78) and John Wildman (72*) added 108 for the fourth wicket. Wildman was particularly severe on David Heyes, who after conceding 12 in two overs, then went for 666662 in his next and last over. Wilkie (32) and Michael Hutton (20) were alone as Jack Woosey (4-41) and Mullaney (3-35) bowled Huyton out for 109 (35 overs).

Ormskirk are still in the hunt after their demolition of Fleetwood Hesketh. Matty Glayzer (93) and John Armstrong (85) opened with 177 and with Jack Kelliher (44*) and John Simpson (20*), the Brook Lane club declared at 248-2 after 47.3 overs. Nick Caunce took the wickets of Hesketh skipper, Neil Rimmer and Derek Sykes in successive balls to leave them 8-2 when Nikita Miller took his guard. He then took his score to 100* as his team mates were blown away in an all out total of 133 in 35.3 overs, Caunce taking 3-31.

Lytham kept in the hunt with an easy win at Maghull. Skipper Jimmy Wisniewski led the Fylde club to 209-9d in 55 overs with Kiran Powar taking 3-37, John Murphy 3-48 and Ryan Swiers 3-60. Maghull collapsed to 67 all out in 26.2 despite skipper Niall McDonnell making 34. Marcus Sharp ended with 3-9 and Mike Rigby 3-27.

Hightown left the Oval with a fourth successive win that takes them to seventh in the table. Chris Bourne hit 106* (10x4s, 3x6s) in Wallasey's total of 220-9d after 61.4 overs, Nathan Heathcliff-Core taking 4-58 and Graham Jones 3-40. Whilst Bourne celebrated his maiden century, Hightown's Shaun Vosloo wondered how he failed to reach his, being dismissed one run short. Gareth Glynne-Jones added 44 and Ian Sutcliffe 36 as Hightown reached 222-5 (41.3 overs) with nine balls remaining.