ECB Premier League - Huyton fall away after defeat at Lytham
Saturday 2nd August 2003

Huyton fell further away from Wallasey and Bootle after a 7 wicket defeat at Lytham. Being put in to bat, Huyton totalled 184-8d after 50 overs with Carl Menzie (45) Kevin Murphy (43) and Jude Mahadanaarachchi (30) with Marcus Sharp taking 3-38. Lytham made a disastrous start to their reply with Jack Kelliher, Nick Knight and Ben Hall back in the pavilion with one run on the board. Then all went wrong for Huyton as Warren McSkimming (85*, 13x4s) and Jimmy Wisniewski (95*, 10x4s, 1x6) took Lytham to victory by adding a Premier League record 185* for the fourth wicket, beating the 177 added by Richard Hignett and Kelby Pickering for Bootle v Colwyn Bay on 12th May 2001. 

Two collapses marked Bootle's win at Ormskirk. After being 158-3, Bootle fell to 216 from 48.1 overs. Ian Cockbain (72) top scored with Richard Hignett (38) and John Hitchmough (33). 19 year old Ian Robinson claimed his first 5 wicket haul (5-35) whilst David Snellgrove had figures of 4-48. Ormskirk were reasonably placed at 171-6 but collapsed to 189 from 55 overs with 10 overs remaining. Abel Podger led the home side's batting with 65 but Robin Fisher (5-57) and Adam Warren (4-61) gave Bootle a 27 run victory.

Wallasey stay in second place, 22 pts behind Bootle after their 42 run win against Wigan. Michael Beaver returned from suspension to hit 66, adding 103 in a third wicket stand with Rob Turnbull (46) after losing Dave Hadden and Roger Eagles for 13. Graham Bolton took 4-35 in Wallasey's 186-8d from 50 overs. Wigan's season has been one of collapses followed by late order recoveries and they managed to repeat it at Wallasey. Sliding to 106-7, they recovered slightly to be all out for 144 (39.3 overs) with Graham Bolton (38), John Cooper (27), Paul Thistlewaite (3-27) and Phil Luxon (3-30) leading the bowling.

Having pulled away from the danger area, Leigh were held to a draw by New Brighton at Beech Walk. Leigh's Gareth Cross (85, 92 balls, 11x4s, 1x6) added 68 for the fourth wicket with Steve Mullaney (45, 45 balls, 6x4s, 12x6) before adding a further 103 for the fifth wicket with Brendon Donkers (36). Lancashire's Sajid Mahmood made his long awaited début for New Brighton and had taken 3-6 after 3.1 overs but after Cross had got hold of him, it was quickly transformed into 3-75 from 10 overs. Sajid Mahmood led New Brighton's reply with 60 (64 balls, 5x4s, 4x6s) but with only Chris Davies (31) offering any long term resistance, New Brighton held on for a draw at 167-9 from 55 overs.

Four of the bottom five clubs met with Northern beating Newton le Willows by 5 wickets at Moor Park. The visitors took 61.5 overs to reach 145 with Ian Lyon (a name from the past at St Helens Recs) top scoring with 40, Mike Walkden (25), Gareth Breese (21) with Mike Holden taking 3-24 against his former team mates. Left with 46 overs, Northern got home with 147-5 with 4.1 overs remaining, Sherwin Campbell (45), David Brown (29), Carl Hey (28) before a relieved captain, Phil Unsworth, ended the innings with 25*.

Maghull lifted themselves from bottom place, now Wigan, with a draw against visitors, Northop Hall. After being 23-1, Maghull's Kiran Powar (119) and Dave Barlow (95) added 201 for the second wicket before a declaration came at 242-3 from 50.3 overs. Northop Hall were given 60 overs to reply but hung on at 178-9, Danny Nolan top scoring with 41, Majid Khan (37) and David Morris (27*) despite good bowling from Liam Crilly (3-22) and Niall McDonnell (3-35).