ECB Premier League - Clubs pay tribute to a great wicket keeper
Saturday 16th August 2003

Clubs paid their respects to Kevin McCullagh as they observed a minute's silence before their Liverpool Competition games today.

The Wallasey chairman and wicketkeeper died on Friday night in hospital after collapsing during a cup match he was playing at New Brighton CC.

Wadham Road was to have been the venue for the top of table clash between Wallasey and Bootle but the game was called off immediately after the tragedy. New Brighton's match with Northop Hall was also postponed.

Tomorrow's Thwaites LCB Knockout Cup final between the Wallasey and Walkden, scheduled for Old Trafford, has been postponed.

Wallasey skipper Mike Beaver said: "The support we have received from so many clubs is gratifying. Everyone at the club has been absolutely devastated. You can't really put into words how much of a loss it is to us all."

Two of the four games played ended in draws, but Huyton's victory at Wigan maintains their third place. The two significant contributions came from Carl Menzie and Ashraf Nawab.

Menzie top scored with 61 and shared a stand of 94 for the fourth wicket with Kevin Murphy (36) out of Huyton's 201-8 declared (50) after electing to bat. Wigan made a fight of it before being dismissed for 179. Lee Dawber (39), but it was spinner Nawab who proved the key by taking 6-61.

Lytham remain fourth after a seven wicket win at Newton le Willows, whose cause was not helped by another batting collapse.

Newton were going well at 82-3 but skipper Ian Walkden's run out sparked a collapse which reduced them to 93-8, Mike Walkden (49). They eventually reached 126 from 42.3 overs after being put in with Marcus Sharp (3-32), Warren McSkimming (3-48) and then Jimmy Wisniewski (38*) and McSkimming (30*) eased the visitors home with a stand of 59.

Newton remain rooted to a relegation spot, but Maghull are only just ahead of them, despite getting the better of a draw at Northern.

Kiran Powar scored 93 (136 balls, 10x4s) as Maghull amassed 226-7d from 56 overs after deciding to bat.

He was well supported by Greg Gillespie (45) and Niall McDonnell (31*). West Indies Test player Sherwin Campbell, who took 3-59, was also the mainstay of the Crosby side's reply, scoring 72 (11x4s) as they struggled to 150-7.

Ormskirk came off second best in the draw with Leigh, who made 197 from 58.1 overs after being inserted, Andy Batterley compiling 56. Martyn Farrell took 3-33 and 17 year old débutant Chris Slinger finished with 2-23. The home side responded with 137-8, Jon Steele (31) and David Snellgrove (30), Ronnie Davis (3-42).